Wednesday, August 11, 2010
A Scarf to Dye For
I have been working on my scarf project for the last few days. Using my pattern I cut out all of the fabric pieces.I used my printer to make the world fabric in the center bottom of the scarf.Some of the fabric I used was given to me by a friend and it was just right for this piece.I cut the whales out of a sea fabric. The yellow fabric in the center I dyed using Pebeo Setacolor fabric paint. I also used the yellow fabric I made for the rays. The tiny goddesses I made from another fabric. The birds and butterflies were cut from store-bought fabric.The sky fabric under the butterflies I made last night . It was also made using Pebeo Setacolor fabric paint. I mixed ultramarine and cobalt blue in two separate containers. In one I mixed two parts ultramarine and one part cobalt blue. In the other container I mixed two parts cobalt blue and one part ultramarine.In a third container I mixed some ultramarine and violet.I added water to the paint in the containers before applying it to the fabric with foam brushes. I lightly misted the fabric before applying the paint and once it was dry I ironed the fabric to heat set the paint.
Everything is pinned in place and today I will be using fabric glue to glue the birds, butterflies and sea weed in place. Once I finish gluing all the elements in place I will be ready to do surface stitching.