Thursday, February 11, 2010
Creating My Egyptian Garden Quilt
I painted some fabric for the sky behind the flute player. I used Pebeo Setacolor fabric paint for the sky fabric. I will make the pillars to go on top of the sky fabric tomorrow perhaps.
I drew a rough draft of the quilt on clear cellophane paper and pinned it to a foam core board and then made two drawings of the quilt . One of the drawings I will cut apart to make my pattern pieces and the second picture I will use to make sure I am placing the pattern pieces in the right place.
I choose a sand-colored fabric to make the brick garden area. I will stitch a brick pattern on the surface of the sand-colored fabric.
I pinned the flute player in place to see how she would look on the fabric and to see if I liked her size. I also pinned the pond in place to check its size and placement.
I made vases from fabric that is backed with fusible web. I will continue preparing my fabric and cutting out the pattern pieces.
Next I will cut out my pattern pieces and apply them to the quilt top.
I want to paint the tops of the jars with black fabric paint and I may put designs on the front of the jars.
I am hoping that I will be able to post my progress every couple of days.
I have also decided to make a pomegranate tree to go on the quilt along with a few other trees the Egyptians grew in their gardens. I also may put in a small vegetable garden since the Egyptians grew many of their own vegetables.