Sunday, August 23, 2009
I have been busy for several days making components to use on the large tree for the quilt. Preparing them takes allot of time. I made the vines first.Leaves were made next then the flowers are added.
This is what I did to make the vines.I assembled the threads and yarns and set my machine to the settings I needed. One of the photos is of the thread and cord I am using.The cord is very stiff. I am also using knitting yarn along with the threads. I lower the feed dog on my sewing machine and use the zig-zag setting. I used green thread in the bobbin and then I sew over the thread or threads I am using until I have the lenght of vine I need.It can be made in many thicknesses or color. I also skip parts of the vine as I am sewing. To add texture to the vine I sometimes sew in one spot to build up the thread.I am using silk flowers to go on the vines. I got these at the craft store. I buy a spray of silk flowers I like remove them from the stems then I attach the vines to the trunk of the tree using a couching stitch I add the flowers to the vines and use embrodiery thread to make french knots to go inside the flowers.I also use tiny glass beads to go inside the flowers sometimes.
Posted by Barbara Williamson at 4:58 PM