Just finished three of the vegetable applique's today.
I painted the fruits using Pebeo Setacolor fabric paint and got them pinned to a small piece of foam core board. Tomorrow each piece will be fused to the muslin background fabric.
I did the figs, apricots and blackberries today.
Next I diluted white paint with water and dipped each piece of my fabric in the paint /water mixture . Let it dry then heat set the fabric. when I did that it gave the apricots a surface that looked like there was light fuzz on the surface of the fruit.
I use freezer paper on the surface of each piece so I can lael each piece and I fuse a paper back fusible web on the back . I cut the pieces out and put them in place on the background fabric and iron them down.