Welcome to my site

Welcome to my blog. I enjoy sharing what I do with you. All images on this site are copyrighted 2003 - 2015. Please do not use any of the photos without my written permission. Thank you.

Friday, July 10, 2009

A Love of All Things African

This is one of the first quilts I made when I started exploring making landscape quilts. The method is a easy quick way to make a quilt and the result, when using this method, is pretty good. Faye Labanaris's Quilts With a View is the book I used to learn this technique. I cut the center out of a piece of fabric I had bought at Joann's fabric store. I made a simple landscape using cotton scraps of fabric sewn together and placed the fabric. I cut the center from over my pieced landscape. I pinned the two pieces of fabric together, free motion stitched around the edge over all the animals and plants. I free motion stitched Acacia trees on the landscape using several colors of thread. After I trimmed my quilt then I added a border using scraps of fabric from my stash. I made an elephant stamp from a piece of Styrofoam, dipped it in Pebeo fabric paint and stamped four pieces of fabric with my stamp. Then I took a pencil eraser and dipped it in fabric paint and made dots around the edge of the elephants. After they were dry I added the stamped squares to the border strips. Last I made a hanging sleeve for the back of the quilt so it could hang on a wall.

No comments: